King Township is located north of Toronto in York Region. Situated between between Toronto and Barrie East of Highway 50, King Township is conveniently located 20 minutes North of Toronto Pearson International Airport. The lands of King were originally acquired by the British in an agreement between them and the Mississaugas which was called the Toronto Purchase, enacted in 1787. Major John King, and Under-Secretary of State for England gave King Township its name when it was created as part of a York County subdivision. Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe received a grant for 40 farms (200 acres each) and recruited families from Vermont to settle in the area. The first official survey of King was conducted in the year 1800 and showed a population of 20 residents. Within 9 years, the population had multiplied to 160. King was incorporated as The Corporation of the Township of King in 1850.
In the 1950s and 1960s many residents of King Township found arrowheads and other articles as possible evidence of a large Huron settlement at Hacket Lake; the famous Toronto Carrying-Place Trail, a route used for trade in the 1600s and 1700s passes through King, supporting this evidence.
King Township is known for its beautiful scenery, and is home to seven Areas of Natural and Scientific Interest, a designation by the Government of Ontario for geographical regions with ecological or geological features that significantly represent a region or province. Located in King are the Oak Ridges Moraine and the Holland Marsh (known as Ontario's "vegetable basket"), and King is also famous for its successful cattle and horse farms.
Other attractions in King are the King City Cemetery Dead House, (built in 1889 to house the dead during winter when grave-digging was impossible due to the cold weather), and many old churches such as Eversley Presbyterian (built in 1848), Glenville Methodist (built in 1859), and King Emmanuel Baptist Church, formerly known as the King Christian Church until 1931.