Let's face it, there is an astronomical amount of media hype surrounding our appearances these days. The number of ways we're told we can "change ourselves" is infinite, and as the price of these procedures and regimens goes up, so can our feeling that we're not good enough. On the flipside, there are many healthy ways we can look and feel younger, which is something we all want, but it's certainly not necessary to spend oodles of cash on doing just this.
1. Get enough sleep. This may seem obvious or next to impossible, but not getting enough rest puts accumulated stress on your body.
2. Drink water! This really does help your skin look younger and gives you energy throughout the day. Common signs of dehydration are headache, sleepiness and mood swings, and more of us are depleted by our lack of water than we realize.
3. Eat well and eat organic whenever possible. We're now aware of how important eating the right foods is, so let's try to eat healthier! Organic foods are becoming available in most places, and knowing what we know, there is no point in filling our bodies with unnecessary chemicals and additives. Cut back on sugar (another cause of moodswings) and white foods (white flour, potatoes etc.). Increase fruits and veggies and you'll increase your energy level - your body and mind will feel better. Add in a multivitamin or supplement to help you with the things you're missing in your diet.
4. Exercise. This is so so so important! When you're not in the habit of exercising, it seems like the furthest possibility in your mind. Once you start though, take our word (and everyone else on the planet who exercises), you will feel 100 times better. There are so many great ways to get exercise too, so look for something that suits you, whether it be a team sport, hot yoga, or a good old-fashioned work out at the gym. Even walking for 20 minutes a day will make a big difference in the health of your heart, lungs and brain.
5. Dress Size-appropriately. Whatever your size, your clothes should fit nicely on your body. They shouldn't hang too loose or fit too tightly. If you've gained or lost weight lately, remember this and make your adjustments accordingly.
6. Dress Age-appropriately. There comes a time in every woman's life when it's time to stop wearing miniskirts, and it's not much past 30! There are plenty of ways to look sexy without looking like you're trying too hard, which is the result of dressing too young for your age. Men often have the opposite problem - they dress like their fathers (or grandfathers) too early in life and sell themselves short. Guys, it's ok to wear something smart and in style instead of dockers and a polo shirt - ask a salesperson if you're not sure!
7. Keep your teeth white and healthy. We often don't realize the hue our teeth take on over time from years of coffee, tea, red wine and cigarette stains. There are many many inexpensive teeth whiteners on the market that will knock years off your smile.
8. Keep your nails trimmed and manicured. This goes for men too! Well manicured hands are one of the ways you can show you take pride in your appearance. We also shake hands with new people we meet, so it's part of our first impression.
9. Pay attention to your inner emotional health. If you are not happy, it will age you. Figure out where you want to be and how you're going to get there - there's no time like the present!
10. Smile and laugh more. Watch funny movies - go and see a comedian. Surround yourself with people who make you laugh and feel good about yourself.